The House of Brick Partner Podcast
The House of Brick Partner Podcast is a series of conversations with important partners and clients. The intent of the podcast is to share, educate and advise listeners on best practices for business-critical database platforms. From Oracle licensing to database cloud migrations, real-world options are discussed, assessed and recommended. Companies looking to optimize their business systems, including reducing costs and improving performance, would benefit from topics such as:
- Being prepared for a potential Oracle or Microsoft audit
- Database licensing on premise vs the cloud
- License management for Oracle & SQL Server
- Migrating Oracle to an alternative database platform
- High availability & disaster recovery best practices
- Virtualization of business-critical systems & database platforms
- And other Oracle & SQL Server deployment & license management topics
Partnering to help clients move databases to AWS
Bob Lindquist hosts Vance Krier, CTO, and Matt Good, Cloud Solutions Architect, of Advanced Network Management (ANM). Also joining is Mike Stone, lead Oracle architect and an original founder of House of Brick Technologies. In this podcast, the conversation centers on HoB and ANM partnering to help clients move databases to AWS. State of New Mexico ERB’s move off Oracle ODAs to AWS RDS is discussed, including lessons learned:
- What are some of the key challenges for companies looking to move to cloud?
- Why does a database migration to cloud pose license & architecture considerations?
- Should an Oracle customer pilot a cloud deployment before deciding to migrate?
- Is a “Lift & Shift” migration strategy to cloud as easy as it sounds it could be?
- Can clouds like AWS provide performant alternatives to proprietary Oracle platforms?
- How can Oracle customers like State of New Mexico ERB move off ODAs to AWS?
- Why is Amazon RDS Oracle license included such an attractive option for certain customers?
- Should companies move everything to cloud all at once or “one piece at a time?”
- Does SQL Server have options like Oracle to move to AWS or other clouds?
- Can DBAs and SysAdmins easily learn to operate a cloud environment?
- Do most companies “modernize” right off Oracle or does it take a long time?
- CASE STUDY: NMERB Migrates to Oracle SE on Amazon RDS, Reduces Support Costs by Over 50%
- FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions for Deploying Oracle on AWS
- BLOG: Migrating Oracle ODAs & Exas to AWS with Optimized Performance, Architecture & Licensing
- BLOG: Why You Should Consider Oracle Standard Edition on AWS