Fast XTTS with Cross Platform Incremental Backup – Part 2
Jeff Stonacek, Principal Architect
In part one of this post, we described the high level concept of using Oracle’s new cross platform incremental backup along with transportable tablespaces. These tools allow a DBA to perform cross platform transportable tablespace operations with the source database online, and then later to apply one or more incremental backups of the source database to roll the destination database forward. This can substantially reduce the downtime of a cross platform transportable tablespace operation.
In part two of this post, we will outline the specific steps required to perform this migration using the new cross platform incremental backup functionality.
Complete Migration Steps
The following are the high level steps necessary to complete a cross platform transportable tablespace migration with cross platform incremental backup using the Oracle scripts outlined in MOS note 1389592.1 (MOS note 2005729.1 for 12c):
- Install 188.8.131.52 Oracle home, if not already installed
- Initial configuration of the Oracle perl scripts
- Turn on block change tracking, if not already configured
- Transfer and convert datafiles from source to target
- Perform incremental backup and apply to target
- Repeat incremental backup and apply
- Put tablespaces into read only mode on the source
- Perform final incremental backup and apply to target
- Perform TTS Data Pump import on the target
- Perform metadata only export on the source
- Perform metadata only import on the target
- Audit objects between source and target to ensure everything came over
- Set the tablespaces to read-write on the target
Configure Oracle Perl Scripts
The first step in using this methodology is to download the zip file containing the scripts from MOS note 1389592.1. The current version of the scripts is located in file rman_xttconvert_2.0.zip. Unzip the file on both the source and target systems and then configure the xtt.properties file on both nodes. This is the parameter file that controls the operations. The comments in the file describe how to modify the entries.
Transfer and Convert the Datafiles
Run the Oracle supplied perl script to copy the datafiles to the target system.
Perform the Incremental Backup
Run the script to take the incremental backup on the source.
Copy the following files to the target and apply the incremental backup.
Determine the starting SCN for the next incremental backup.
Repeat the incremental backup as many times as necessary.
Transport the Tablespaces
Complete the remaining steps to finish the migration.
1. Place the tablespaces into read only mode on the source.
2. Repeat the incremental backup and incremental apply steps from above.
3. Run a transportable tablespace Data Pump export on the source.
4. Run a metadata only Data Pump export from the source.
5. Run the metadata only Data Pump import on the target.
6. Reconcile the source and target databases to ensure that all objects came over successfully.
7. Set the tablespaces to read write on the target.
In this blog, we have demonstrated the steps for using cross platform incremental backup to reduce downtime for large dataset platform migrations without the need for additional licensed products.